Pages

Friday, July 10, 2020

Breaking Down, Building Up



I realized today that all those Dell machines I checked in for the last few days have a destination; A complete computer lab classroom. I prepped all the machines by naming them with the required convention and added them to the local domain. But first, a little breakdown and some grunt work. The network cables were left attached to the switches as well as the power cords to teh outlets. All monitor cables were left because all the old monitors were staying, but a vga-to-display port will have to be used for the new machines to connect to existing monitors and they are on order but haven't arrived yet. There are 30 computers total. It was interesting carting those across the sidewalks of campus in cart that has probably seen better days.




Overall, a very satisfying day in that I got to see the efficiency of group policy when setting up an entire lab. I also witnessed the life cycle of some of these machines, many only running Windows seven. Most were set out for a re-cycling service and the newer units were placed back in the large storage room.  

No comments:

Post a Comment